If you have been in a relationship with an alcoholic spouse, or if your alcohol consumption has affected your relationships, you know that alcohol can destroy marriages. When alcoholism has begun to take over your life, know that there is help available and you can save your marriage and yourself.
How Alcohol Affects Marriage
There are a number of ways that alcohol can affect your marriage. Alcohol consumption can affect relationships in the following ways:
- The non-alcoholic partner may begin to enable the alcoholic spouse. Codependent relationships become common, as the non-drinking partner hides the alcoholic’s drinking patterns, lies about hangovers and drunken episodes and allows the drinker to drink in the privacy of home. This compulsive caretaking can destroy intimacy and love over time.
- Lies and deceit can alter a marriage relationship. Addictions are powerful, and they lead even the most honest people to lie and keep secrets. People who are addicted tend to blame others, become confrontational or hide drinking behavior.
- Children of alcoholics are impacted by family drinking. Even if the alcoholic person takes great care to hide alcohol consumption, children are usually aware of the issue and experience problems in behavior, school performance and adult relationships as a result.
- Marital conflict and distress are related to drinking. When alcohol becomes overly important to one member of a marriage partnership, the relationship suffers. Both the alcoholic and the spouse may experience extra anxiety, depression and other mental health problems.
- The non-alcoholic spouse may turn to drinking in order to cope. Some couples become alcoholic together. If this is the case, it is important for both partners to seek rehab treatment.
- Family violence increases with alcohol abuse. Anger, defensiveness and out of character behavior are related to alcohol consumption. A normally non-abusive spouse may become irrational and abusive, when drugs or alcohol are involved.
Get Alcohol Abuse Help, Alcoholism Treatment and Marriage Help Now
If you are experiencing difficulties in your life or your relationship because of substance abuse, please call us now. Our confidential and toll-free helpline is staffed by experienced and caring recovery professionals. We can help you explore your options for treatment and even assist you with the following:
- Locating rehab treatment and care
- Locating family counseling, marriage counseling and family addiction support
- Working with your insurance provider to arrange insurance coverage for treatment
- Arranging intervention services as needed
- Finding specialized mental health treatment and addiction treatment
We are here 24 hours a day, so please call now and find out how we can help you.