Dangers of Drinking Mouthwash

Nowadays people do not have to go to great lengths to get drunk. There are severe punishments for alcohol distributors and consumers who drink illegally, which has led people to creative ways to whet their appetites for alcohol. Common household items such as mouthwash have become a resource for consuming alcohol. It is available in many locations with no age requirement for purchase, making it a perfect option for underage drinkers.

Mouthwash contains alcohol, and some bottles contain up to the equivalent of a 50 proof bottle of liquor. Not all mouthwashes contain this much alcohol, which can compel people to consume several bottles to get drunk. Drinking mouthwash is incredibly dangerous for a multitude of reasons.

Dangers of Drinking Mouthwash to Get Drunk

Drinking mouthwash to get drunk can cause the following problems:

  • Blindness
  • Damage to vital organs
  • Gastrointestinal damage, severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
  • Chemical burns to the mouth, throat and stomach
  • Extreme dehydration
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Intoxication, which leads to impaired cognitive functioning, lack of inhibitions, reckless behavior, slurred speech and poor motor coordination. Alcohol intoxication also greatly increases the risk of accidents, injury, alcohol poisoning, sexual promiscuity, legal problems such as DUI’s, death and other major life consequences.
  • Alcohol poisoning (potentially fatal), lowered blood pressure, rapid heart rate, respiratory complications and more
  • Alcohol dependence and addiction

Before you think that it is safe to drink this liquid because it has no age restriction, think again.

Can You Overdose from Drinking Too Much Mouthwash?

Alcohol poisoning is overdose, which can result from drinking too much mouthwash. An overdose occurs when someone consumes so much alcohol that his body cannot metabolize it fast enough. As a result, the body sees alcohol as a poison that interferes with proper bodily functioning, so it shuts down and produces dangerous symptoms. These problems include unconsciousness, vomiting, confusion, slow or shallow breathing, seizures and other problems. Alcohol overdose can be fatal, even from drinking mouthwash.

Alcohol poisoning is only one of the life-threatening dangers of drinking mouthwash. People who drink mouthwash to get drunk need help stopping this risky behavior before irreversible damage occurs. It is likely that these drinkers have a serious alcohol problem, but those in this category can find treatment to end this dangerous habit.

Help for Alcohol Abuse

If you need help for alcohol abuse and don’t know where to look, we can help. Our addiction counselors are available 24 hours a day to speak with about your options for treatment. They can answer your questions, address your concerns and provide you with information on anything having to do with alcohol treatment and recovery. Our goal is to connect you with the treatment for your individual needs, so to learn more call and our counselors today.

Copyright © 2010-2014 DemerolAddictionHelp.com. All Rights Reserved. | Confidential and Private Call: 1 (877) 345-3218 | Privacy Policy